In June 2015 when I joined the Direct Sales world I had ZERO idea what I was doing, I bumbled along for 6 months – not really sure of what to do and when. In January 2016 I stumbled upon this phenomenal group on Facebook – The Socialite Suite, and very quickly learned some phenomenal tips on how to run a successful DS business. these days if you ask how to run a successful Direct Sales Business this is what I will tell you.
Create a Community
Why? Once you start to think of your customers as friends and a vital part of your community you will no longer regard them as just people to sell to. You will want to serve them and take care of them and then a wondrous thing will happen – they will WANT to buy from you and they will care about you.
Let me tell you about something that happened on the last weekend in June.
Friday June 29. I woke to having earned Origami Owl’s incentive trip. I didn’t think I could go thinking I had to pay for tickets. Discovering that we get a stipend towards travel I got very excited and shared with my group, thanking them for all they have done for me and the excitement was palpable. My friends/customers were THRILLED for me.
Over the course of the day I discovered that if I’d do another $300-400 in Sales in June It would propel me to a place that with my average sales in July I’d be able to earn the trip to take my husband as well. However there was a big BUT, this was about 4pm Friday afternoon, and being that I am Shabbat observant – I would be offline from Friday Sunset to Saturday nightfall leaving me not much time to work.
I was chatting with a friend that I had made though direct sales and she said – I’ll post in your group and keep them going. I came back online after Shabbat to the necessary sales being made but in truth I cam back to something even greater. The very last post my friend had made was asking people to post what they appreciate about me and I LOST it. I still cry every time I re-read it.
I saw something so great that night – when you create a community they’ll be there for you. Thick and thin. To me, seeing people commenting on things I do meant more to me then anything else. My goal is to create a space of love and friendship and I know I have achieved that.
Now that I’ve told you this wonderful story you might ask – how did you do this?
Top Tips for Creating a Community
- Care and I mean really care. If someone makes a comment in your group for example: they are not feeling good – send them a message wishing them well.
- If a customer mentions they can’t afford to order – don’t push it, you can gently suggest a party but most of all don’t fall out of touch just because they can’t order in the moment!
- Don’t only share sales based posts in your group – let them get to know you!
- Don’t be afraid to share your struggles! My group know how overwhelmed I am, that’s why they are so excited for me to get away a little!
- Take a deep look at the way your DS works and how you can offer the best for your customers. for me, I distribute Hostess Rewards to all those who buy – giving lots for free – they love this and come back for more!
- Struggling with something – ask them for ideas and help! People always love to make suggestions.
I can honestly say that my customers are now my friends and I love hanging out in my own community. Want to check out my little space for yourself? Come join us here.